Sunday, November 15, 2015

We inch closer and closer towards the holidays.....

This weekend was the famed "craft show" at the Augusta Civic Center--a fair featuring all handmade Maine crafts--and Callum, Lynne, and Amanda went to it. Callum is like a little old lady at these things--he totally eats it up and loves looking at crafts and buying Christmas gifts for others. For example, last year we got him a handmade 'keepsake box' with the PATRIOTS logo on it...it is one of his favorite things...

So Maira and I got to spend the day together, which was great! I start each Saturday off the same, with Maira helping me make coffee. Then I take my coffee out front or out on the back deck and just savor a cup, thanking God that another week of school is over (ha ha). Maira and I went out to breakfast at the Flatlanda', and we enjoyed pancakes, eggs, and bacon. My meal came with two pieces of bacon and two sausage patties...but Maira quickly took my bacon and added it to HER supply. The kid just loves bacon....

We came home and watched her favorite movie as of late: Balto. This is a cartoon story based on truth about a half wolf/half husky dog that is instrumental in leading a dogsled time from Nenanna Alaska to Nome Alaska during a Diphtheria out break in the early 1900s. Maira just loves it....

Then we took our own 'rescue dog' Orso for a little hike over at the Mill Island park in Fairfield; I have written of this place before I think...but it is actually ON an island in the Kennebec River. The park is about a mile away from us, and I go there with the kids sometime to play soccer, swing on swings, walk around, and get beautiful views of the river. Orso loves going for rides and he LOVES going on nature hikes. Below is a pic from the trail--you are looking through the trees to the railroad bridge that crosses the river....the buildings you see on the other side of the river are in Benton...





There are remnants of the old mill that inhabited the island many many years ago, and you can explore the foundation and other rock-walled parts of the old work zone. I think it was a woolen mill...but I will have to check. At any rate, here's a pic of a beautiful little girl and her loving dog. Boy does he put up with a lot of crap from her...a few days ago, he walked around for a few hours wearing barrettes that she put on him :/

Callum continues to be a star with his reading, and I love the initiative he is taking to go and read books 'on his own' with no help. He tried this a bit with Harry Potter....but he is working his way through complete JUnie B. Jones books with no problem. And, below, he is sitting reading DIARY OF A WIMPY KID which I think is a laugh out loud hilarious book....


Patriots just beat the Giants with a game ending field goal--the Pats stay unbeaten at 9-0. What is even more amazing than this is that we are nine weeks in to football season! Where does the time go!!!?? This will be a tough week at school--I am finding it difficult to get my seniors engaged and invested in school this year....vacation is coming up!!

1 comment:

Ortiz said...

👍👍👍👍😍😍😍